Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 21 Mar 2018
Call for Applications
Position Title : Media Engagement Officer
Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 21 March 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the direct supervision of the Media and Communications Officer in Dakar, Senegal and the overall supervision of the Migrant Assistant Project Manager in Dakar, Senegal, and in close coordination with the Communications Technical Support Officer in HQ Geneva and the Regional Awareness Raising Officer at the Regional Office in Dakar, the successful candidate will be responsible for delivering proactive and planned campaigns whilst retaining the flexibility to respond to operational or organisational requirements as necessary.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
materials and content for campaigns targeted at raising awareness among migrants on relevant issues of protection. Understanding how to leverage assets from other IOM activities and awareness campaigns to optimize impact and use of resources.
Nigeria as to liaise the relationship between IOM and the radios.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
● Master’s degree in Communications, Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
● Bachelor’s degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
● At least 2 years of relevant work experience in public information or information campaigns;
● Experience in dealing with socially relevant topics;
● Experience in dealing with International Institutions and Organisations (UN, etc.);
● Demonstrated high competency as a writer, editor in French and English;
● Knowledge of graphic design, web, social media and video production;
● Proficient in content editing platforms including Adobe Suite, primary Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Audition, as well as Final Cut Pro, among other multimedia editing software;
● Demonstrated expertise in graphic design, web, and social media platforms;
● Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud applications such as Dreamweaver, Lightroom etc;
● Previous experience with communications and/or perception change campaigns
• Fluency in English and French is required. Working knowledge of Portuguese and/or other local languages of West Africa is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category, candidates who are
nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements and security clearances.
How to apply:
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 21 March 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 08.03.2018 to 21.03.2018
Requisition: CFA 2018/06 (P) – Media Engagement Officer (UG) – Dakar, Senegal (55396761) Released
Posting: Posting NC55396762 (55396762) Released